Close Window

Converting British Terminology

Claire writes: "I just wanted to say thanks for the email newsletter. I am from the United Kingdom and would like to share what I do to convert U.S. patterns into U.K. crochet language, as it may be helpful for your readers when converting the other way. I scan the pattern into my computer and save as either a Word document or PDF. (If I can only scan to PDF, I copy and paste the text into Word). I then use the 'find and replace' facility to replace the U.S. terminology with U.K. terminology. For example, in Britain we call your 'single' crochet a 'double' crochet. I double-check the original pattern to make sure all the changes are correct and then enlarge the text and adjust the spacing to make it as easy to follow as possible before printing."

Send feedback!

Fill out my easy feedback form and let me know your thoughts, questions, news or anything else you want to tell me about. You never know, I may feature it in an upcoming issue of Talking Crochet newsletter. Keep reading!