Talking Crochet Updates
Views & How-tos
|Reader Feedback||Free Crochet
Fabric Gift Basket
A breast cancer patient is sure to appreciate this pink-ribbon-adorned crocheted fabric basket filled with her favorite things.
5 inches high x 8 inches square, excluding Handle
- 44-inch-wide print cotton fabric: 2 1/4 yds off-white, 1 1/2 yds pink
- Size K/10 1/2/6.5mm crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- Stitch marker
- Sewing needle and thread
- Fabric glue (optional)
8 sc = 3 3/4 inches; 8 rows = 3 1/2 inches
Join with slip stitch as indicated unless otherwise stated.
Pre shrink fabric in laundry.
To cut fabric, carefully follow these steps:
- Cut fabric into 1-yard pieces. Work on only 1 1-yard piece at a time.
- Fold 1-yard piece in half lengthwise with WS facing.
- Sew the selvage edges tog twice with sewing machine, creating a tube.
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise again, leaving 1-inch selvage at top (see Fig. 1).
- Using a pair of scissors, or rotary cutter (recommended), cut 1-inch strips of fabric up to the folding line (see Fig. 2).
- Open both folds and cut the selvage in slants, from 1 end of 1 strip to the end of the other (see Fig. 3).
- You will now have a long strip of fabric. Make a ball and begin crocheting.
Row 1 (RS): With pink, ch 17, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn. (16 sc)
Rows 2-16: Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.
Rnd 17: Working around outer edge, ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc in each st across with 3 sc in last st, working in ends of rows, sc in end of each row across, working in starting ch opposite side of row 1, 3 sc in first ch, sc in each ch across with 3 sc in last ch, working in ends of rows, sc in end of each row across, sc in same st as beg sc, join (see Pattern Note) in beg sc. Fasten off.
Rnd 1: With WS of Bottom facing, join off-white in back lp (see Stitch Guide) of center corner sc, working in back lps, sc in each st around, do not join. Mark first st.
Rnds 2-9: Sc in each st around. At end of rnd 9, join in beg sc. Fasten off.
Rnd 10: With RS facing, join pink with sc in center sc on any side of rnd 9, sc in each st around, join in beg sc. Fasten off.
With off-white, ch 36, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Fasten off.
Sew or glue Handle ends to inside edge of Basket as shown in photo.
With pink, ch 20. Fasten off.
Fold Ribbon in loop as shown in photo and sew or glue 1 to each Side of Basket below Handle.
Copyright © Spring 2012 Crochet! Presents Easy, No-Sew Crochet. All rights reserved.